Versailles is a tribute to the extreme extravagance of the French royalty . . . just before they were overthrown and beheaded by the masses. The chateau is amazing. Every room is decorated with beautiful paintings and elegant furnishings.
The gardens cover 8 miles of area and include lakes, fountains, groves, orchards, vineyards, and examples of their efforts to bring the delights of the world to their own little corner.
Because they had no ancient ruins on the estate, they built the Colonnade.
Because they had no canals of Venice, they built "Petit Venice" and hired gondoliers to man the boats while Ole Sole Mio was sung in the background.
Continuing on down the road, I arrived at Marie Antoinette's hamlet, which she had built because she wanted to experience the simple life of a peasant (without all the ugliness of starvation and hard work, of course). The hamlet was my favorite part. . . each new part was more charming than the last.
4 comments:
Get those photos posted! How can I continue my vicarious vacation??? You have to promise to go back with me someday!
I'll come back with you any day!
NOT McDonalds!! Sina should send you home for that! It sounds like you are having a great time. Actually I wish I was with you so that I could have talked you out of the comfort food or joined you for an icecream.
Sina spends much more time at McD's than I do. If she sends me home, she'll have to come with me.
Post a Comment