Sunday, July 13, 2008

What Will 20 Bucks Get You in Yosemite?

Well, it will get you a couple of meals, or 3.5 gallons of gas, or 13 bottomless glasses of lemonade, or (when added to what I would spend on a tent cabin) a private, non-coed bathroom at the same altitude as my sleeping quarters, air conditioning, a real bed, a chair that did not come out of a school catalog, 4 windows, a 2/3 shorter walk from the parking lot, wallpaper and pictures, dressers, cabinets, and a porch with chairs. I expect it will get me a good night's sleep too. Worth every penny and more!

Today was Yosemite Valley day. I finally got to see what all the hype is about and I was not disappointed.

A few minutes after entering the park, I noticed a bunch of people parked at the side of the road taking pictures. When I looked up, I saw the HUGE El Capitan cliff. I've seen pictures, but you have to be standing below it to appreciate its true immensity. Rock climbers come from all over to ascend this 3,300 foot cliff. The fastest climber did it in 2.5 hours. Many people take 3 or 4 days to do it, sleeping in hammocks on the face of the cliff as they go. There are some sports I will never understand.


The next stop was Bridal Veil Falls which was a short hike away from the road.


The next stop was the parking lot but you don't care about that one so I will move on to the open air tour tram tour. The tour was led by a very informative park ranger and a driver who has climbed El Capitan 4 times.


Cathedral Rocks and the Merced River


Tunnel View . . . A week ago, only the two front peaks were visible due to the smoke in the air.


And of course, Yosemite is all about the wildlife. I saw a black bear with brown fur (go figure), a pushy chipmunk, a bunch of birds, and this deer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are having a good time and that you are posting since I hear that your out of cell phone range for a few days. Keep having fun!

Daph said...

Tell Dad Bread I'm very proud he remembered to pass on my message.

Cristine said...

Glad you acquired better accomodations. After a month on vacation I came to appreciate a good night sleep. Also, I'm glad you check in with MB. You are brave to travel alone. Stay safe!

Daph said...

I travel alone because the alternative is to not travel. YOU are the brave one to travel alone with 3 kids!

Cristine said...

At least my kids could report if I fell through the pit toilet at the rest area. Also, it is much harder to kidnap four people.

Daph said...

I have to say that did cross my mind when I was using the pit toilet in Nowhere, Nevada and I had only seen 3 cars and 2 buidings (both pit toilet buildings) in the last 300 miles.