Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sleeping in Hell

The ad said “Rustic Mountain Resort.” The reality is Brighton Camp with the bathroom at the top of Hernia Hill, and my 105 degree windowless tent cabin at the bottom. (And fortunately sans the 12 year olds . . . That would REALLY be hell!) Tomorrow will be better. I’ll still be at glorified Brighton but the weekend crowd will be gone so I will be upgrading to a private room with a bathroom and swamp cooler. Until then, I will make myself comfortable here at the lodge and hope it cools off before I go to bed.

The good news is . . . Today’s sights make it all worth it. (The pictures are a bit hazy due to the forest fires in other parts of the state.)

First stop: Mono Lake
Who knew the Great Salt Lake had a “sister lake” (at least according to the sign)? They are very similar, right down to the salty composition and the plethora of alkaline flies. However Mono Lake also has Tufa formations that are formed under the water by natural springs. When the lake level decreased due to some of the water being redirected, the tufa became visible. Eventually it will all be under water again because the government has mandated a re-redirection of the water back into the lake.




Second stop: Bodie State Park
Once a thriving gold mining town of 10,000 people, now a true ghost town with a population of just 5 rangers.



Third stop: Dana Meadows
Just inside the entrance to Yosemite.



Fourth stop: Tuolomne Meadows
Wow! That’s all I can say is Wow!




Fifth stop: Soda Springs
A naturally carbonated spring . . . It looks like it is boiling.

No comments: