Friday, July 20, 2007

Weather Extremes and the Bard

I just got home from a week at the Shakespeare Festival with friends. It was a delightful week, made much more interesting by a few freak weather moments. A few minutes after we arrived at our condo in St. George (where it was 112 degrees), the power went out. Turned out that there was a lightning-sparked fire burning nearby and it was getting close to the power lines so they shut them down. Who knew smoke conducted electricity? (Besides DB of course) It was all up and running again by the time we returned from an absolutely delightful performance of Twelfth Night. How have I never experienced that play before??? I have been cheated. :)




The next day, we went to Bryce Canyon and were caught in a sudden rainstorm/ hailstorm, the likes of which I have never seen. Because I am all about getting on the bandwagon, I followed the deli sub's example and caught some footage. However, I was getting really wet through the open car window so it's not as long as hers.






Wednesday included a trip to Zion N.P. with hiking and many beautiful photo ops. We took a moment to appreciate LB and BB's trip up Angel's Landing (as we passed the trailhead in the shuttle) and decided they are clearly insane but are definitely very cool.



Thursday brought performances of Candida and The Matchmaker. I thought Candida was a little on the boring side (and took a catnap to demonstrate my boredom) but The Matchmaker was a riot. It was the inspiration behind Hello Dolly, which I have not seen but have just added to my Netflix queue. Today, we caught a matinee performance of Lend Me a Tenor: The Musical, which was also very good.

I'm glad to be home for a minute or two, and am busy packing up once again for the next adventure.

2 comments:

LB said...

WHERE are you going next?!?! And STOP IT - you're making me so jealous! Thanks for the Angel's Landing nod BTW. I loved 12th Night and am glad to hear of another fan. Call me when you're home for more than 5 minutes. I'll be back from Trek this Saturday (don't be jealous:)

Daph said...

Stay tuned . . . If I can figure out how to upload pics on a not-mine computer, you will get the scoop on the latest adventures tomorrow sometime. Glad to hear you also loved 12th Night. Be sure to wear your bonnet . . . Instant shade. Who knew?