Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Culinary Art

My 1,000 Things to See book recommends a little restaurant in Berkeley called Chez Panisse as a must see. Apparently, it came to be back in the day when all restaurant food was chopped iceberg lettuce and tasteless cherry tomatoes. Alice Walters, after a tour of France, changed all that. She started serving vegetables grown organically in her own garden and food prepared in ways previously unknown in America. She is known as the founder of California cuisine. . . a revolutionary of sorts.

I thought Chez Panisse was in the book because it was the starter of a trend, but I learned tonight that it is in the book because it is the BEST FOOD EVER! Throughout the meal, I kept hearing things come out of my mouth that I never thought I would say . . .
1. This lettuce truly melts in my mouth.
2. These tomatoes are delicious.
3. This cooked spinach is delicious.
4. All future noodles will be unacceptable after these.
5. I'd like some coconut ice cream with a coconut cookie please.

I don't even have words to describe how this food tasted. It is something that must be experienced to be believed.

5 comments:

Nate and Sina said...

In that case, one large serving PLEASE!

Anonymous said...

It must have been truly incredible if you ate a TOMATO!!

Nate and Sina said...

Are you not by a computer? I posted like three comments to your blog and you haven't even approved any of them yet! I posted on LBs too, and she hasn't responded either! What is summer vacation or something?

Daph said...

Paris-- I've been on the road (see upcoming post). I think LB was on the Pioneer Trek. She should be back to acknowledge you soon. Don't give up.

Cre8tive-- I knoooowwwww. :) I ate (and enjoyed) tomatoes, cooked spinach, and coconut. Definitely an indicator of how good it was!

Our Deli-Sub said...

I hope they are still in business when we are golden girls.