Bumper Sticker of Note #1: Keep Tahoe Blue (or in some carros, Mantenga Tahoe Azul)
Lake Tahoe is known as the "Jewel of the Sierra." It is the second deepest lake in the U.S. and covers 192 square miles. Its annual evaporation is equivalent to LA's water consumption for 5 years. It has an average depth of 1000 feet. At one time, it was possible to see a dinner plate dropped into the water to a depth of 100 feet. Currently, it is losing about 1.5 feet of visibility per year so the locals have launched an effort to solve the problem.



Bumper Sticker of Note #2: Keep Santa Cruz Weird
Did you ever wonder where all the old burned out surf bums went? They have made their home in Santa Cruz. A few months ago, I attended a teacher workshop on vocabulary development. The presenter lives in Santa Cruz and told us about a time when she was in a shop on the boardwalk and overheard two middle aged surfer-looking men having an entire conversation that consisted only of the word "Dude." As I was walking near the boardwalk last week, I overheard a young surfer-looking teenager telling a buddy "I'm just keeping my sh** real, dude." His middle-aged future flashed before my eyes. (The same teenager was later overheard telling his fellow surfer teens to send anyone looking for "herbs" his way.)


No comments:
Post a Comment