Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Angel's Camp

After a week at home, it's time to hit the road again . . . This time to California. Joan, Cherie and I started the trip with a 12 hour drive to Angel's Camp. Joan and I were relieved that the road was entirely paved, the car had no mechanical issues, and there were no bars between the seat in the car and our behinds. Cherie didn't seem shocked by this. Strange . . .

We took the scenic highway to Angel's Camp. There is still some snow here!


Who's in charge of the marketing here? They should probably be fired.


After a leisurely morning, we headed off to Moaning Cavern.

Apparently, back in the day, it made a moaning sound because of these. . .

which led people to check things out. Unfortunately for them, there was a surprising drop once inside. These bones were excavated from the bottom.

Now, people get down there this way . . .


More pics of the inside . . .



Outside the cavern, they had a zip line. Thematically, I don't see the connection, but it's a good way to gather some tourist dollars. Here we are getting started . . .



Here is the middle. I am very proud of the fact that I was able to hold the camera AND the harness tightly at the same time. Maybe someday I will only use one hand to hold on. . . Well, OK, probably not. Notice how at the end of the line, the catchers missed me and I went back the way I came.

Just hangin' around . . .

The rescue . . .


After that adventure, we went into town to check things out and find some caches. Angel's Camp is famous because it is the setting of Mark Twain's short story, "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County." They have embraced this and there are frogs everywhere.


As we drove by this site yesterday, I told Joan and Cherie that there absolutely had to be a cache there.

Here we are finding it.


Sadly, no handsome prince appeared . . .

Many of the stores were closed today. We saw this in one window.

No comments: