Friday, May 1, 2009

Culture Appreciation


One thing I love about my job is spending so much time in the midst of representatives from so many different cultures. One thing that is hard about my job is properly appreciating aspects of culture that conflict with what I think should be going on. For example, with very few exceptions, Tongan boys tend to be noisy. They also tend to be bright, caring, loyal to their families, and many other good things, but some days the drumming and the shouting just put me over the edge. Today I am reminded that with proper guidance and channelling, even the things that drive me crazy can be turned into something wonderful. The rehearsal for next month's luau performance is going on right now (way down the hall, even though it sounds like they are right outside my door). The faces of a bunch of 7-11 year old boys shining with pride and excitement as they prepare to perform for all who are willing to watch makes the tapping fingers all through my math lessons worth it.

No comments: