Saturday, August 16, 2008

Farmers' Market

I love going to the Farmers' Market. People from all over the city congregate to find fresh produce treasures. They bring their kids, their dogs, and their environmentally friendly shopping bags. Farmers try to explain why their crops are the best. Who knew there were awards for peaches?

I needed some green onions so I stopped at a booth that said they had them. Without actually looking at the product, I bought a bunch. When the woman handed them to me, I almost didn't think they were real. They were so big that when I put my shopping bag on my shoulder, they knocked me in the head. (Good thing they're soft!)



It's melon season right now. . . My favorite growing season of the year. Cantaloupe was my favorite type until yesterday. I stopped at a booth and saw cantaloupe in half of the display with another melon filling the other half. I had never seen this melon before so I asked about it. The farmer explained that it was an Israeli melon, the sweetest and best melon on Earth. He said I could get one and try it if I wanted to, but it would most certainly become an addiction and I would end up very frustrated, as they would only be available for a couple more weeks. I decided to give it a shot, thinking it couldn't possibly be THAT good. I was wrong.

3 comments:

Cristine said...

When I was in college my friend and I would take our kids to this farmer's market almost every Saturday when it was going. I loved the tomato varieties. Who knew about beefsteak, brandywine and pink girl-oh yeah MB, but certainly not me. I still have not taken advantage of the farmer's market at this end of the valley. I need to get there. I'll have to try that melon type next year:)

LB said...

So what are those melons called???

Daph said...

You still have a couple of weeks CPR. You can bet I'll be back there on Saturday morning!

DRH-- The farmer guy just called them Israeli Melons but when I was searching for the picture it said they are also called Ogen Melons. I saw the X-Files movie yesterday. Have you seen it yet?