When I exit the school each day, I look around and appreciate the good things about a neighborhood that properly appreciates porch sitting. I see kids in their front yards playing ball or running through sprinklers. I see others riding bikes or scooters. It is not unusual to hear a child's voice holler my name from afar (and also not unusual for me to not be exactly sure from whom or where the voice is coming). This afternoon, I heard my name and waved to the mystery voice. As I was getting in the car, an 11 year boy who I have known since his older siblings bribed his potty training efforts with promises of attending the summer lunch program at the school, rode up on his bike asking if I would like to buy some lemonade from his lemonade stand. I looked over at his yard and saw a group of kids sitting around a broken chair with a pitcher on it. Another boy arrived on his bike to help convince me that I must enjoy some of their lemonade, which he informed me was actually apple juice. They said it was only 50 cents, and they were raising money for school supplies so, of course, I couldn't say no. I walked over to the group of kids and waited while one of them used a serving spoon to dip juice from the pitcher to my cup. It was a long process so two little girls (one of whom is scheduled to be in my class this year) filled the time by reminding me that it was a good cause, as they were going to use the money to buy "materials" for school, and telling me that the juice was made from "natural water." Somehow, the ending of summer is just a little less sad. . .
2 comments:
Great story! Love that they were serving the "lemonade" with a spoon. Last week some kids in our neighborhood were also selling lemonade. They were asking $30 per glass. They were certain to make a fortune-right? Sadly, however they were so set on a price that they sold nothing:( I suppose it was an early lesson in what can happen when you are greedy.
Do you remember our kool-aid stand??
Post a Comment