Last summer, I went to the Shakespeare Festival with some friends from work. We also took a day trip to Zion National Park. While there, we went on a hike none of us had done before. We walked along the Virgin River for a mile or so, then the trail ended and there was just river. A lot of people continued walking in the river through "The Narrows." We were not prepared for this . . . Denim shorts, hiking shoes with socks, etc. . . No view could be worth tromping around in those wet things all day long. So we watched longingly for a few minutes. Then Linda, the adventurer of the group, decided to go in after all. She disappeared into the distance, then returned half an hour or so later soaking wet. She had fallen in the river with her camera, phone, and all other pocket contents. Joan and I congratulated ourselves on not giving into temptation and meeting the same fate, then began planning what we needed to do to be prepared next time.
Today, with water sandals, walking sticks, and Ziploc bags, we returned to the same place and while we didn't complete the entire 16 miles of The Narrows, we got just a little taste of what all the hype is about.


7 comments:
I'm glad you did this do-over. This is the hike my dad has planned for our family next year. I remember doing it when I was a kid but now being somewhat of a chicken because of the distance as well as the flash flood thing. Looking forward to giving it a try next year. Love the pics:)
Don't let the distance scare you . . . You can turn around anytime you want. I think we only did a mile or so. Don't forget the walking sticks. Mine saved me from falling in several times.
OK so I have been reading "Punishment without stress punishment or rewards" and in the beginning I thought it was great but now that I am more than half way through the book I feel like a lousy parent who has already ruined my children. Stupid me to think that when the bad behavior no longer continues it has been nipped in the butt, only to find out that my kids are externally motivated-big time!!! How am I to raise internally motivated responsible citizens when after more than eight years of parenting I have been doing it all wrong:( Well maybe not all wrong I know internally #1 wants to make good choices, but #3-only when a serious woopin is going to take place. How can you possibly introduce these methods into the classroom?? I'm still going to finish the book but I am wondering thoughts thoughts?
For what it's worth, I feel like a lousy teacher who has ruined years worth of kids so you're not alone. :)
Really, I kept reading the book thinking somewhere he would get past the "why" and into the "how" and it never really happened. That was really frustrating. Now what do I do??? It can't be good to do nothing in fear of doing something wrong . . . We've all seen THOSE kids in the grocery store!
One thing that someone brought up on the teacher email list-serv that I belong to was to help the kids see the connection between their behavior and the kind of teacher/ parent their behavior is requiring you to be. If they are operating at levels C and D, then you can let them do their thing and be supportive. If they choose to operate at Levels A and B, then they are causing you to have to be a Level A or B disciplinarian. If that's where #3 is, then that's what you have to do, for now. You have inspired me to check out the Marvin Marshall teacher list-serv. I wonder if there is a parent one too. . .
Oh, I almost forgot . . . Before you do your hike next year, DO NOT neglect your strenght training. My calves (from walking on the rocks) and triceps (from holding on to the stick for dear life) were mighty tender, and I only did a little bit of it!
Wow! You sure have been busy. What a fun couple of outdoor adventures! The narrows sounded awesome. Thanks for checking in on me and reading our blog. How are you doing??? Back to school blues? I will "look" for you again on our blog!
Good times... I did that hike a few years ago - the water was pretty deep but we had a blast
Post a Comment