


From Craters of the Moon, I traveled to Stanley via the Salmon River Scenic Byway. It was obvious why this area was designated a scenic byway.


Stanley is a small town in western Idaho with a population of 100, 1 grocery store, 2 liquor stores, several motels and lodges, and a fabulous view of the Sawtooth Mountains. This is the view from the deck at my motel.

I diligently checked Trip Advisor while planning this trip and found mixed reviews about the management here at the Riverside. All the reviews said it was clean and well kept, and they were right. The debate was over whether the owner was a grumpy @#$*% or whether she was reasonably easy to get along with. So far, I am happy to report that she is quite pleasant. She seems to think it a bit odd that I am traveling alone, but she gave me a good mystery to read, offered the usual kudos for my chosen profession when she saw the apple on my Visa card, pointed me toward some good local food, and invited me to wear my galoshes and tromp through the still soggy grass over to the common patio area should spring make an appearance during my stay.
I had dinner at the Redfish Lake Lodge. The scenery was beautiful.

More to come tomorrow (assuming the wi-fi holds out) . . .
6 comments:
I am assuming you keep in touch with someone when you travel alone, right? Looking forward to pictures. Never even heard of the sawtooth mountains.
Hmm... I might need to make this trip this summer. Will need to see the pictures first.
I had never heard of them before either . . . they're another "1000 Places to See . . . " find.
I have been there. It is beautiful. Enjoy your trip.
~Alli
It sounds quite. It might creep me out at first...
That's because you have 6 people in a 3 bedroom house and you go to bed early. You never hear silence. :)
Post a Comment