Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Rest of the Story

My laptop and wi-fi functioned well, but my photo software was having issues . . . It's always something. Here's what I had hoped to post 2 days ago.

My day started with a hike to Fishhook Creek. I chose it because the distance and elevation gain seemed unlikely to require any Search and Rescue efforts. I hoped that whatever was at the end of the trail would be worth the walk.





This is what I imagine the forest in The Magician’s Nephew (of the Narnia series) looked like, only with more pools of water.


If a tree falls across a path in the forest, and nobody sees it fall, does it still block the path?


The payoff!



After a Sunday nap, I ventured out for a Sunday drive on the Ponderosa Pines Scenic Byway. I passed a bunch of campers sitting by their campfires on the way and was kicking myself for opting to use indoor lodging . . . Until the sudden onset of one of those pounding rainstorms that seem to accompany my trips to national parks.




The rain continued throughout the night and most of the day on Monday. I tried to go several places but kept running into flooded roads so I spent most of the day porchsitting and reading a good book. The one place I was able to get to was Stanley Lake.


I'm back home now . . . safe, sound, and well rested. Only 7 days of school left to go before my next time off. :D

5 comments:

LB said...

I (and my kids) DEFINITELY want to do some of those walks with you!

Daph said...

This one wasn't a Volkswalk . . . I don't want you to be disappointed if others don't measure up. :) There's one on Sat. June 7 in Ogden if you're available. It's part of the Nat'l Trails Day celebrations (I know, who knew there was such an event?), so there will be some accompanying festivities as well. Are you in?

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful/restful trip.

Nate and Sina said...

I totally want to do that. But we just read an article in the NYTimes that got us excited for the Beartooth Road. Have you ever heard of it? Google it if not.

Daph said...

I haven't heard of it but the website looks like something to put on my list. One reason that I wanted to go the the Sawtooths was that it was described as kind of an undiscovered Yellowstone. I'm not sure that is the case really . . . I didn't see much wildlife (of course the roads into the back country were still closed for winter) . . . but it is definitely undiscovered. I don't think you could go wrong either way.