Friday, May 16, 2008

Top Ten Friday: Culture and Coke



Every May, the Salt Lake City Arts Council holds the Living Traditions Festival at the City and County Building. I look forward to it every year and last year decided to make it a habit to volunteer . . . Partly to support the cause but mostly to make sure I was committed to attending so I didn't miss it. This year, my volunteer shift was in the beverage tent selling soda. Here are the top 10 moments of the evening.

10. Being there without the 90 kids I had in tow last year.

9. Listening to the people on Trax debate whether or not the Jazz would win tonight's playoff game.

8. The dancers from El Salvador.

7. Monlo, the lightning streak disguised as my co-volunteer. If you have ever been annoyed with slow service, he is your guy. He had those drinks in front of the customers before they could blink.

6. People-watching

5. The rocker boys right out of 1985, complete with mullets and black Guns & Roses T-shirts that bought sodas at our booth. If one of them had had a blond Brillo hairdo, I would have thought I had travelled back to my early teenage years.

4. The beautiful weather. . . Wow!

3. Seeing the amazing collection of world cultures that are here in SLC.

2. Being a part of something that makes my city a better place.

1. Watching Monlo deliver sodas not only to our side of the table, but quite often, to the other side as well. It became quite competitive . . . I had to be creative in finding ways to take the customers' money while not getting between him and the table. It took two guys from the other line to keep up with him, and he still beat them as often as not.


And the bonus moment of the day . . . Realizing that Dave Ramsey is quite likely right here in my hometown right this very minute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day. I can't wait to see what you post about Dave. Do you think Sina will ever listen to him? Maybe you can get her hooked up when she is in Utah.

Cristine said...

I'm waiting, waiting patiently to hear about Dave. Love cultural awareness and all but i'm on pins and needles for a report.