Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Jack Russell Terriers


Some of you might be wondering why I have not blogged recently. The reason is that I have been throwing tennis balls. My friend Kate had a baby and I was on dogsitting duty. Turns out that entertaining this puppy is a full time job. Most dogs, after a walk around the neighborhood, feel sufficiently exercised and ready for a nap. Anakin, on the other hand, sees a long walk as a mere warm up before hours and hours of tennis ball chasing. If I were not me and I were reading this post, I might ask, "Well, why did you do it? Couldn't you just stop throwing the darn thing?" However, I now understand that was not an option. If I tried to stop, he dropped the ball in my lap, or under me as I sat down, or in my hand, or anywhere that I had to move it from right away. I even woke up with a tennis ball in my hand one morning. And, I kid you not, he laughed at me as he did it. He knew I had to move it and revelled in his brilliance. There is something just a little frightening about a dog that is smarter than I am! I can't begin to imagine what I could accomplish with that amount of energy. He has gone home now so I can return to life as I know it . . . which I must say, is appearing just a bit dull and empty now as I have no fourlegged friend to greet me at the door and make me feel as though I can make the world a better place just by throwing a ball.

5 comments:

Leslie Joe said...

hooray an new post to read!! and if you want when I go to paris you can have partial custody of bugsy and chloe :)
Mom

Our Deli-Sub said...

I need a Jack Russell for my weight loss program...

LB said...

and I thought chasing two kids around was tough...
At least I can sic them on each other now and then...

Anonymous said...

You should get a Jack Russel!!!!! How fun! And there are tricks you can use to wear out those little buggers... like doggie back packs, or teaching him/her to jog while you ride your bike. Just an idea...

Daph said...

Deli-Sub-- You don't need a Jack Russell . . . You have pickle! Come to think of it though, they might be able wear each other out.