Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sharks in the Desert, Ants and Kittens at the Temple

I recently became aware of a place where they have geothermal, salt water springs in the middle of the desert west of Salt Lake. (Thanks Chris!) Who knew that was even possible? They have lots of sea life usually found only in the ocean, and they let you go there and help feed them. So, when looking for an idea for an outing with Pickle (visiting nephew) who adores all things animal, the choice was obvious.
Feeding and petting the shark . . .

The rays (Steve and Irwin) eating squid (which intrigued Pickle just as much as the animals they were feeding them to) . . .


The big fish splashed us as they were grabbing their breakfast . . .


The nearby geocache where Pickle informed me that it was way too easy to find this one and they should really should have hidden it better for him . . .


Later, we picked up the rest of the Deli-Subs and headed for Temple Square.
Here is Sprout taking a rest while the big kids looked for some geocaching info.


Right before this picture (I was too slow with the camera to get the actual moment), Cristine and I looked up and saw Baloney watching the GPS, with a perfect line of all the other kids following carefully behind him. They looked just like a line of ants.


Trying to get 8 kids headed in the same direction at the same time after they lost interest in geocaching was much like herding kittens. We finally stumbled upon a good strategy . . . Tell them you're going to take a picture of the 3 adults in the group. Suddenly they were all there crowding into the picture. Do not confuse this event with the time we tried to get all of them into a kid picture. That one worked very differently.


While waiting outside for Mom-Bread and some of the kids to come back from the bathroom, Cristine and I witnessed this conversation that had us laughing for quite some time. (Sadly I was just a little too slow with the camera for this one as well. This photo was taken right after the actual Kodak moment.)
Photographer to groom: OK, stand behind her.
Groom: Here?
Photographer: Yes. Now nuzzle her.


The day ended with a pre-bedtime geocache search. I hoped that lots of eyes and climbing kids would help in this one that has been eluding me for months. I was wrong. Guess who hid it, cacher friends. At least it wasn't a pine tree.

1 comment:

The Henricksen Journal said...

Nuzzle. hmmm... I wish I were there laughing with you now.