It was a big day today in second grade . . . Big enough to warrant learning the multi-syllabic word "inauguration." We tuned in during Aretha Franklin's song. They were not impressed and wanted to know where Obama was. Her music isn't exactly tuned to the second grade ear. I'm okay with that.
Next came Joe Biden's swearing in. With no prompting from me, they all stood up with the live audience to show their respect. (Insert clarification that it was not necessary to put their hands over their hearts because we were not saying the pledge of allegiance.) Then they all sat down as I explained what a vice president does.
Next, we heard a lovely musical number. (Insert snickers here about who in the world names their kid Yo-yo?) As the camera panned over the huge crowd, I mentioned that Sina was there. They wanted me to point her out.
Finally, the big moment arrived. While Obama was being sworn in, I watched as several students, including 2 African-American boys, raised their right hands and repeated the words along with their new president. As he began his speech, I told the kids they could sit down, but none of them did. They knew that standing (as we had for the swearings in) showed respect and they had more respect to show. They were in awe.
In the words of Lily (of purple plastic purse fame), "Wow! That's all I can say is Wow!"
4 comments:
All I can say is WOW and Sina better post something soon or I am going to disown her.
WOW! I'm just impressed that you could actually explain what a vice president does.
Vice president: Helps the president and takes over if he dies.
The movie. I haven't seen it yet. I would love to go with you! Are you free tonight or tomorrow sometime (matinee or evening)
Post a Comment