
'Snowball'
I made myself a snowball
As perfect as could be.
I thought I'd keep it as a pet
And let it sleep with me.
I made it some pajamas
And a pillow for its head.
Then last night it ran away,
But first it wet the bed.
-- Shel Silverstein
The other day, my co-2nd grade teacher and I needed an activity to do with our classes for the day. We decided our kids needed some writing practice. What kid doesn't after all? So we gave them the traditional "story starter" and let their imaginations run wild. The stories started like this . . . "I was walking home from school when suddenly I felt a snowball hit the back of my head. I dropped my backpack and . . ." After reminding them that snowball fights are only a "home activity" never to be done at school, and brainstorming a few ideas, they went off to write their stories. Some were so horrified at the idea of even writing about a forbidden activity that their stories talked about how they ran away and built a snowman or drank hot cocoa.
It was the others we needed to worry about. That day at recess, 20 of the 80 second graders were involved in what I am quite sure is the biggest snowball fight in Edison history. I'm feeling just a little responsible for the behavior slips issued that day. {hanging my head in shame}
The next story starter will go something like this . . . "I was in school one day and I listened carefully to the teacher's every word. I did my homework daily and followed all rules with careful exactness at every moment. This day was much like every other day of my school life and . . . "
6 comments:
I am going to try this. One day I came home and I opened the fridge. As I was looking for a bite to eat I realized there was only fresh veggies and ultra healthy choices. I jumped with glee because...
it gave me a great excuse to run and grab some take out!
That's a wonderful poem! I should note however that it was 1am when you wrote this. I should add, a snowball fight is a healthy child activity only if snowball safety is taught first. e.g.: Don't aim at face or other sensitive parts of the body. No packing rocks or trying to compress snow into ice for long periods. Wait a sec...nevermind, that's just giving them more bad ideas. Please continue. :)
No worries . . . I gave them the snowball safety lesson too. I just thought they would use it at home. I think the middle of the night is the best blogging time. Really, the middle of the night is my favorite time of day. Do you think that has something to do with why I'm yawning at 7:14 am?
under my bed was a box of krispy kreams...
That is too funny! Got to love the logic of a child's brain!
Post a Comment