That was my question when I first read about it on Danielle's blog. She talked me into going with her a couple of months ago, and my new answer to the question is "One of my favorite activities." It's SO fun! There is much success and enjoyment with little innate coordination and dance ability required (which is good because "little" is all I have to offer). This is a video from the most recent event.
this "contra dancing" thing looks exactly like square dancing. I tried a few years ago to get someone to go "square dancing" with me....not one person would...
It is related to square dancing but is not the same thing. It has its roots in English country/ folk dancing. You can see it in its early forms in movies like "Pride and Prejudice" but it has evolved over time and become much more fast paced.
I would have gone square dancing with you if it didn't involve a commute to Utah County. :) (I'm smiling just a little right now because Danielle commutes FROM Utah county to go contra dancing all the time. I'm such a commuter wimp.)
Where did square dancing come from? Rural England perhaps? I don't think I would like it since I HATE line dancing and square dancing is a line squared.
ok seriously, you need a new post. You just returned from a trip (to a small town no less) and you should now have plenty of material. Please-something new!!
6 comments:
this "contra dancing" thing looks exactly like square dancing. I tried a few years ago to get someone to go "square dancing" with me....not one person would...
It is related to square dancing but is not the same thing. It has its roots in English country/ folk dancing. You can see it in its early forms in movies like "Pride and Prejudice" but it has evolved over time and become much more fast paced.
I would have gone square dancing with you if it didn't involve a commute to Utah County. :) (I'm smiling just a little right now because Danielle commutes FROM Utah county to go contra dancing all the time. I'm such a commuter wimp.)
Where did square dancing come from? Rural England perhaps? I don't think I would like it since I HATE line dancing and square dancing is a line squared.
Wikipedia has good info on the similarities and differences of the two.
Yeah, I thought it was square dancing with Irish music when I watched the video. Nice new hobby Daph...always finding new hobbies.
ok seriously, you need a new post. You just returned from a trip (to a small town no less) and you should now have plenty of material. Please-something new!!
Post a Comment