
Sixteen years ago, I was working as a school bus assistant and each morning, my bus passed the new Saturn dealership. It became a tradition for me and twelve year old Philip to discuss which of the new cars would one day be ours. Eleven years and 3 months ago, I drove my new Saturn off the lot. That same Saturn has served me well ever since. Today it reached an important milestone . . . 100,000 miles. Since I am all about "Getting on the Bandwagon" and since my car has been around longer than BB, KR, and Nate (Dad Bread was there for the test drive), here is a numerical report on my life with my car.
Oil changes: 45
Hours spent in the Saturn Service waiting room: 55
Car washes: 43
Flat tires changed: 5
Number of times it has left me stranded: 1
New batteries: 1
Number of lights changed: 2
Nonregular maintenance repairs: 3
Number of times it has been hit: 2
Dents: 0
Number of times I forgot to put registration stickers on in a timely manner: 9
Number of times I had to explain the expired stickers to an officer of the law: 1
Number of years with a scrunchy on my gearshift after cutting my hair short: 3
Number of drinks spilled: 3
Holes worn through original floor mat: 3
Number of times slept in: 4
Gallons of gas: 3,334 (give or take a few)
Number of states driven in: 6
Trips to California: 4
Trips to Washington: 8
Trips to Edison: 2,220
Years without a car payment: 7
Here's hoping for another 100,000 miles!
18 comments:
Isn't it fabulous to NOT have a car payment! Also, I was there for the test drive as well. I remember driving with you up into the avenues and thinking it just charged up the hills. Glad to know he is still kicking. You really should try the 200K plan. We got the Volvo to 200K and then the engine blew up. BTW-glad to see a new post!
I forgot you were there for the test drive too. It's not charging up hills so much these days but if I get a running start it does okay. I'm definitely on board for the 200K plan. At this rate, that will be sometime around 2019. :)
You should know that when I see a twin saturn I always think of you. I do think it will enjoy a midwest tour this summer. That will help with the 200K plan.
Interestingly, there are two twin Saturns and 3 distant cousins that regularly patronize the game store. The Saturn is looking forward to seeing a new part of the country this summer.
I was worried you were retiring the old girl (guy?).
Not one minute sooner than necesssary!
Amusing moment of the evening . . . I had my key in the door and tried to turn it before realizing that I was standing next to one of the previously mentioned twin Saturns. Oops! Good thing it didn't have an alarm. :)
Hopefully our little toyota will survive like that! Just checking in on you. Are you back into the swing of school? There are some days when I miss it...but not for long...I'm so grateful to be at home with my boys. We're doing a co-op preschool, and I took the first week. I forgot how much work it took me to get everything prepared for teaching. Good thing these little students are only three and they really don't care! They just want to have fun and do a craft! I must say, teaching three year olds is much easier than sixth graders...the only attitude I have to deal with comes from my own child!
Teaching second graders is a lot easier than teaching sixth graders too. I have the best class ever this year. . . They might even still be nice when they're 12. (Is that possible?) :)
Yeah, the last thing you want is for one of your former students to show up as one of Utah's most wanted:(
Actually, the current Most Wanted was very nice at age 12 (and at age 10 when he was in my class). You never can tell.
ps - We are at 60000 miles on our Honda already and have only been driving it for 3 years... I guess those midwestern trips add up!
It just kind of scares me that you have all of this information available.
There was some estimation involved . . .
Nate keeps claiming that we turned the Saturn through the 100k mark when we were using the car. He likes to think so because we were using his mother's and drove it when it hit 100k, and our VW just hit 100k last week. He thinks it sounds cooler when he says we got 3 cars to 100k this summer.
He can take credit if he wants, but I have witnesses that I did it. :) You guys definitely helped though. I expected it to turn while I was in California and it just kept going and going . . . I'd still be waiting if you hadn't made all those trips to Utah County.
Are you waiting for another 100,000 before you post again???
Yes. 98562 miles to go.
I'm glad you are going to Chicago today because that means that there is a new post in the near future. Next week right?:)
Post a Comment