Monday, March 31, 2008

Port Townsend

In the "1,000 Places to See Before You Die" book, Port Townsend is described as a well-preserved Victorian era seaport with a deep blue inlet dotted with sailboats and a view of snow-topped Mount Baker. Apparently, the author was not there on a blustery day in March. (Yes, that is snow.)



However, even with the view hidden in the clouds and the sailboats docked, it is still a charming town with much character.

The day began with the Deli-Subs and their Aunt Daph making a picnic lunch (sandwiches, of course) and piling in to the Suburban. Dad Bread found an 80's station on the radio and we found out that Pickle must have lived in that decade of great music in a previous life as he sponataneously burst into a cheesy 80's style dance.


When we arrived in town, we went directly to Fort Worden . . . "a 1902 military fortification turned state park." The plan was to eat the picnic lunch and leave Dad Bread and the condiments there to play at the beach while Mom Bread and I checked out the Victorian houses and funky shops. The reality was, we ate in the car and let everyone out for 5 minutes of beach time while hollering, "Close the door!!! It's COLD!!!"



(Insert "Surfing, USA soundtrack here")



We then did a driving tour of the Victorian houses and took the whole sandwich to check out the fun and unique stores on the main street. I think the hit was the game store where touching and trying the merchandise was encouraged. We also stopped at Elevated Ice Cream where you can buy your ice cream by the ounce. Dad Bread decided to park next to a vehicle that was bigger and uglier than the Suburban . . . not an opportunity that presents itself often. Upon closer inspection, he found that it was a Mercedes-Benz Unamog . . . His dream vehicle in his younger days. He was almost giddy with excitement and didn't wipe the grin off his face for quite some time.



The Elevated Swiss Chocolate Orange was quite yummy, but it didn't hold a candle to creamy Utah ice cream. Maybe I should look into opening a Leatherby's franchise there.




While shopping, Tomato half-mooned us, much to the delight of Mom Bread. I'm not exactly sure why she thinks such things are so cute but she wants to live on a farm in chilly Minnesota too, so I won't try to find any reason there.

The "End"

2 comments:

Cristine said...

That van is so not uglier than the Subruban! Love the butt crack in the last shot. Also, I am super envious that you got to spend so much time with them. Glad you had a good visit and now I don't feel so jipped.

LB said...

While I was laughing and watching the 'dance video' - Anya and Dane came in and started getting down with the ingredients - then dane said "Dat's siwy (silly)" - YEP that's why it's fun