Friday, August 5, 2011

Hangin' with the Deli-Subs

The Deli-Kids love to go geocaching so, of course, we went.  I noticed there was a Darth Vader themed cache nearby so I took my fellow Star Wars geeks to go find it.  We were very impressed with the find.  You had to press a button in Darth's mouth to make a nearby ping pong ball shoot up, then use the lock combination written on the ball to open the cache.  Very cool!  We liked it so much, we made a point of finding several others hidden by the same guy.  We were not disappointed.  Cacher friends, next time you're in the northwest, look for goblindust caches.  He's right up there with himilecyclist in the creative hides department.  Non-cacher friends, stop rolling your eyes!  You just don't get it yet.  Mom Bread even liked them.  :)
We didn't find the cache here but we found a super-cool climbing tree.  I had to drag the boys away, even after telling them about the pizza that was waiting for them.  That's a seriously great tree.  When we got back in the car, Baloney emphatically stated, "I'm so uncomfortable!  It has to be at least 70 degrees in this car!" Yeah, it's freezing here.
I wanted to go for a hike so Mom Bread suggested going to the Dungeness Spit.  Here we are at the trailhead. 
Mom Bread and the girls walked partway with us, then hung out at the beach while Pickle, Baloney and I walked and walked and walked and walked.
We finally made it to the lighthouse.
We ate some lunch and Pickle caught a few frogs.
 
Then we took a tour, talked to the lighthouse keepers . . . members or the American Lighthouse Association who were spending a week there as volunteers because GPS has made lighthouses just about obsolete so they don't have professional keepers anymore,
and headed back.
 Pickle thought it was the greatest thing ever that the tide was coming in so the waves came up to his neck.
The next day, I dragged Mom Bread to Seattle to the mecca of geocaching, Groundspeak headquarters.  It was fun to see "the lily pad" and be the first to sign the latest log in the office.  There were people there who had come all the way from Texas and even Austria.
Groundspeak is in the Fremont area of Seattle, which has to be way up on the list of places with the highest number of street art specimens per capita.

Notice the top right. . . Noogie, top of head.  Love it!

I've been hearing for years about the favorite outing spot at Point No Point.  (So named because it is not a very large point of land.  I had to look that up.)  Pickle decided it was a perfect spot for his birthday party.  This is the treasure hunt that Cheese put together for them. 
 The priority at this party was to play, play, play.  Those boys did it right. They were wet, sandy, tired and happy!
This was the trash can (next to the recycle bin) in the area where we had the party . . . The words are too small to read, but it says Solar Compactor.  Welcome to the great northwest!

No comments: