Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A New Generation of Dave Fans

In my class at school, the kids have the opportunity to earn "Moo-la." One of my boys tends to not earn much moo-la because he doesn't do homework, comes to school late, and gets in trouble pretty frequently (which causes him to have to pay me for causing me stress . . . $2 per infraction after the friendly warning). In fact, he has had so much difficulty that he has had a sizeable debt for most of the year. In an effort to help him decrease that debt, I started making him do "structured recess." This means that instead of running around the playground for exercise, he walks around the classroom. I decided he could earn off $1 for every 2 minutes given. It took him months . . . Much to my chagrin since I had to supervise this effort during my lunchtime . . . but he did it every day, without any prodding. Today he worked off his last $5 and actually got to keep the $1 he and his table-mates each earned. When he handed me the dollar to take off his debt (as is his habit), I explained that he was now out of debt and could keep his money to spend as he wished, his face lit up and he screamed out "I'M OUT OF DEEEEEEEEEBT!!!!"

(For those who are not Dave listeners, every Friday, he has a tradition of having people who have gotten completely out of debt call in to his show and scream at the top of their lungs, "Iiii'mmmmmm debt freeeeeeee!!!!!!!" It's very inspiring to hear their stories!)

5 comments:

Jon said...

Hey hey hey thanx for the site monitoring link!! I will go check that out!

Nate and Sina said...

Huh? I kept expecting Dave Ramsey...what was that?

Daph said...

That was a surprisingly good impersonation of Dave and his show. I thought it went well with the out of debt kid in my class (who is now back in debt due to his lack of self control and failure to have an emergency fund . . . sigh).

Islandalli said...

That was soooo good! I loved it! Better your kiddo learn lessons now than later. Glad you are able to keep him in line and keep providing consequences, even when they aren't good ones. What a great teacher... wish I could send my kid to your class. :)

Our Deli-Sub said...

Don't let Daph fool you that kid is Dave. Did we fail to mention that our "money guy" is 8?..